"Swiss guides on Canadian Pacific Rd."
Library of Congress.
No known copyright restrictions.
The English Department is committed to providing English majors with the best possible academic and professional guidance as they complete their degrees and contemplate life beyond graduation. To that end, the Department offers a strong program of advisement and mentoring.
Wayne Berninger is the Registration Advisor for all undergraduate English majors. He will help you keep track of your progress toward graduation and can answer any questions you may have about requirements and registration. Please meet with Mr. Berninger each semester before you register for classes, even if you have another advisor elsewhere (e.g., if you are in Honors, or if English is your second major). When the time comes, he will help you make sure your Application for Graduation is in order. Mr. Berninger is also the contact person in the Department for evaluation of transfer credits.
THE ADVISEMENT PROCESS
Registration begins in October for the spring semester and in March for the summer and fall. See the Academic Calendar for specific dates. To best prepare for Registration, follow these steps.
1. Check your Advisement Sheet to see what courses you still need. Consult the Schedule of Classes to see which of your required courses are being offered in the coming semester. Read our professors' descriptions of those specific sections on this page on the English Department blog.
2. Sketch out a tentative schedule for yourself. It's a good idea to have back-up courses in mind. Make sure you've met any prerequisites and that there are no scheduling conflicts.
3. When the time comes to schedule advisement appointments, Mr. Berninger will post an announcement to the English Department blog. He will also notify you via e-mail. In addition, Mr. Berninger will send the news in a text message that goes to everyone. To sign up for these text messages, go here.
4. Mr. Berninger uses an app called Setster for appointment-booking. To book your own appointment, go here. This short video shows how to use the app.
5. Register for your courses. If for some reason you're unable to register online, Mr. Berninger can sign a registration card for you to take to the Registrar. Once you've successfully registered, e-mail Mr. Berninger to let him know. Also notify him whenever you make any changes to your schedule.
YOUR ACADEMIC MENTOR
Every English major also has an Academic Mentor. This member of the English Department faculty will advise you about all aspects of your academic career other than registration. You can go to your Academic Mentor at any time for advice about a variety of academic matters, from choosing electives with an eye toward career preparation, to selecting a second major or an appropriate minor, to making a decision about graduate school and career goals. You may always seek advice on an informal basis from any member of the English Department faculty, but please meet with your assigned Academic Mentor at least once per semester to discuss your progress in the major and your plans for the future. Keep your Academic Mentor informed about how you are doing in your studies so that he or she can provide you with the best academic guidance possible.